Think long and hard about the possibility of adapting your property and be realistic about what can be done and whether the final adaptations are going to make your home the place you will want to live in for some time to come.

You will then need to work out how this work will be funded. If you are self-funding it is fairly straight forward. Spend as much time as you can researching what is on the market and will meet both your own needs and the needs of everyone sharing your home.

If you are able to self-fund, much of the work can often be done without the need of architects/designers or planning permission. You should always check with your local authority planning department to be sure. There are a number of contractors around who claim to specialise in designing homes for wheelchair users. Where possible get references and check out the work they have done in the past with previous customers before making any payments or agreeing terms.

If you are not able to self-fund then you could try to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Before making any plans check with your local authority that you are eligible for assistance.

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a means tested grant and can help with providing the following (taken from the web site

- Widening doors and installing ramps
- Providing or improving access to rooms and facilities - for example, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom.
- Improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs.
- Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.
- Improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child.
- Currently this grant is for a maximum of £30k in England, £36k in Wales and £25K in Northern Ireland. In Scotland there is a local-based scheme and the maximum awards are set by the local authority.

If you are under 19 there is no means testing.
Please take note that this process can be cumbersome and lengthy.

Discuss your plans with your OT at the Spinal Injury Centre, as they have a wealth of knowledge. Make sure you have a good look around at what is available if you do need planning permission for works (you will usually need planning permission for extensions) then start the process as early as possible.