If you are a council or housing association tenant of working age receiving housing benefit and renting a home that has more bedrooms than allowed (see below for guidance) it’s likely that your housing benefit will be reduced. If you are a pensioner, you will not be affected.

The new limit on the number of rooms you can claim for is based on the number of people living in your home. If you have more bedrooms than the new rules say you need, you will be treated as ‘under-occupying’ your home. You’ll get less of your rent paid for by housing benefit.

If housing benefit no longer covers the full cost of your rent, you will have to pay the rest of the rent yourself. If you are not able to do this, you may be entitled to help via the discretionary housing payment scheme via your local council.