You don't have to be living on the streets to be homeless. You may be legally classed as homeless if you are disabled and unable to return home because your home is no longer accessible to you, or if you are living in your own home but the house is not suitable for you to live there independently. If this is the case it is important that you make a Homelessness application. If you are accepted as homeless then the council have a duty to find you somewhere to stay temporarily. They will also assess whether you are eligible for inclusion on the general housing register for permanent housing.  This gives you an extra level of security as you do not need to wait for a suitable permanent property to become available but can be accommodated in temporary accommodation while you wait.

If you think you may be considered homeless and you are in a Spinal Injury Centre you should speak to your Discharge Officer/Case Manager or alternatively your Local Authority housing team who are there to help you understand your current housing situation and need.