Living with family

If you currently live with your parents or other family then there are a few things for you to consider. It may be that you wish to remain as part of the household, in which case your options will depend on the nature of your family’s owner/occupier status. Please see Owner, social housing or private rent, for further information.

It is important to bear in mind that if a property is adapted for you by the council or you have received a Disabled Facilities Grant, there are certain conditions attached. You may have to pay back some of these funds if you were to move from the home within 5-10 years, or you may be ineligible for a grant on any other property you move to within 5-10 years. So please do think carefully as to whether you see living with family as a temporary or long-term solution.

If you do not wish to remain as part of the family home then please approach your Local Authority for advice and assistance. If you are financially able to purchase a property you will not be eligible for social housing but an Occupational Therapist may be able to assist with finding a suitable property for you to purchase and advise on any necessary adaptations.