If you own your own home there are two main options to consider, adaptations or moving. It may be that your home can be adapted to suit your needs and you may wish to remain in your home and do not want to move, however it is important to be realistic. Adaptations can be very costly.

If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). An Occupational Therapist (OT) can conduct an assessment and refer you for a DFG for the adaptations you require. However, the maximum it can fund is £25k in N. Ireland, £30k in England and £36k in Wales and this may not cover the estimated cost. A DFG is also means-tested so your income and any savings over £6k will be taken into consideration when applying. See further info below on Adaptations and DFG.  

It may be more beneficial to sell your current property and purchase one which is already adapted or can be more readily adapted to suite your need. Your OT can remain involved in this process, offering advice on potential properties and their suitability, conducting an assessment and assisting with adaptations on the new property. You can still receive a DFG on your new property provided you meet the means-tested element, any equity left after purchasing your new property will be taken into consideration. 

If you cannot afford to remain in your current property, then you will need to approach your local council for advice and assistance. Your options would depend on the equity you have available and could be Social housing, downsizing or Shared Ownership.