Personal Independence Payment

Personal independence Payment (PIP) has been introduced to replace DLA for people who are aged over 16 but under pension age when they start their claim. Like DLA it is not means tested so is not affected by most other benefits, income and savings. If you are awarded PIP you can continue getting it after you reach state pension age.

To make a claim you need to call the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). You will be asked various security questions to verify your identity and make sure you are eligible.This call take around 20 minutes and require you to have certain information to hand. You will need your National Insurance Number, bank details and doctors details.

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be sent a paper form (PIP part II) to complete. It is a good idea to get advice and help before completing the form. After you return your PIP claim form you are likely to have to attend a face-to-face assessment with a health care professional. They work for an assessment provider who are contracted by the DWP. Occasionally if there is sufficient evidence from any professionals working with you this may not be needed. The healthcare professional will produce a report for the DWP based on the information you gave who will use the report to make a decision on your claim.

To make register a claim for PIP you need to call 0800 917 2222. You can check your state pension age at

Disability Living Allowance

You can only apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you are under 16. DLA is not means tested therefore is not affected by most other benefits, income or savings. Children will stay on DLA until they reach their 16th birthday. To make a claim for DLA you need to request a claim form by calling 0800 121 4600.

Anyone aged over 16 who is on DLA will be ‘invited’ to make a claim for PIP. DLA will continue to be paid whilst PIP is assessed. If the invitation is not responded to DLA payments will stop. There is an exception for DLA claimants who were born on or before 8th April 1948, who will remain on DLA and won’t have to transfer to PIP. We have produced a leaflet with useful tips and general information about changing from DLA to PIP and how to complete the claim form. You can download the leaflet or email [email protected]

Only in Scotland - Adult Disability Payment

There are some changes coming with the introduction of the Adult Disability Payment.  Being introduced in place of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA), The eligibility criteria for ADP broadly aligns with the eligibility criteria for PIP.  ADP will be available first to adults of working age with a disability or health condition (who are not already in receipt of PIP or DLA) who live in the Dundee City, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles local authority areas, who will be able to make applications from 21st March 2022. Further council areas will then be introduced in phases until the new payment rolls out nationwide from 29th August 2022.  For more information go to

Attendance Allowance (AA)

If you are over state pension age and not already getting PIP or DLA, you may be able to get Attendance Allowance (AA) instead. Like DLA and PIP it is not means-tested so is not affected by most other benefits, income and savings.

To make a claim for AA you need to request a claim form by calling 0800 731 0122.

Carer's Allowance

Carer’s Allowance (CA) is a benefit for people who provide at least 35 of care for someone in receipt of DLA, AA or PIP, and earn no more than £123 a week. In some circumstances claiming CA can affect the cared for person’s benefits. It is a good idea to get advice before submitting a claim.

To claim please go to If you cannot make the claim online you can request a paper form by calling 0800 731 0297.

If you need advice or assistance with any benefit matter please contact our Welfare Benefits Team on 0208 420 6711 or email  [email protected]